Decided on the base of my new project

I've been in doubt to find the basis of my new project.

I'm a strong believer that Chinese woodwork it as good any other. The type of wood doesn't matter as long as it has been dried properly so that it won't start working after the guitar is made (known to be a problem in the old days and still for small workshops).

The problem I have, is that I like the feeling of a Stratocaster and the sound of a Les Paul. So basically, a Stratocaster with 2 humbuckers. Started of my search on second hand sites. People often offer beginner guitars once they figured out it's not their thing. Problem is that the 'basic' models are almost always shaped after a Stratocaster with 3 single coil pickups or a Gibson (LP or SG) with 2 humbuckers. Options of the shelf are 'metal' guitars (Ibanez, Jackson, ...) but they are still more expensive that what I'm willing to pay.

First looked at a LAG AK200:


Having a Floyd Rose tremolo with locking nut and tilted humbuckers seemed like an interesting host. However, having tilted pickups, meant that you might have some weird behaviour when replacing the pickups. Normally, pickups are designed to have the strings more or less on top of the pickup poles. The original pickups of the guitar are covered, but I can imagine them being bar magnet pickups to compensate this. This limits the options to replace them by other pickups significantly.

Since I didn't find anything to my liking used, I started looking at the new budget ones. Took me some time, but finally found this one:

Fazley (never heard of it) E150. Chinese made, Strat-type, SSH config, Floyd Rose licensed Trem with locking nut, and... warranty! Warning: With the FR Tremolo, I wouldn't advise it for beginners.

Since I have a set of Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz I already bought used, I'm taking on the challenge to mod this guitar to a double humbucker setup.

First thing first... Planning to order this guitar tomorrow. I think I'll play it for a while to figure out the good, the bad and what to mod...


Reacties

Populaire posts